Thursday, August 13, 2015

No-Knead Bread

Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread

I've gotten into bread making recently. Or more accurately, Stefan's mom, Karen has gotten me into bread making. The three of us were on our way to the first-ever Los Angeles Fermentation Festival, discussing one of the classes we wanted to attend on making sourdough bread (sourdough bread gets its distinctive flavor from the fermentation of flour, water and yeast). I mentioned offhandedly that I had just bought baguette pans so I could start making and shaping sourdough bread.

Critical error. Just...a really big mistake.

Karen is an expert bread maker, and before I could finish my sentence she told me that I "had a lot to learn" (only Karen and my mom can tell someone they have a lot to learn without offending. But it hurts. Bad.). One does not use a baguette pan for shaping baguettes; one uses a couche. She then offered to teach me how to make bread, and we had a lesson set up within the week. She also told me I had some required reading to do (required reading!), and the next morning I had four 300+ page books in my inbox with instructions on how to open said books on my iPad. One of them involved science.

If you know my mom, you know that this sounds like...well, my mom. I obviously loved it.

Our first lesson was on Model Bakery's English muffins. More on those later. Today is about Jim Lahey's No-Knead Bread. This is a 24-hour-ish bread, which is pretty standard in the realm of bread making. But it's so much easier than normal bread! There are essentially three steps, but every chef knows to double the purported work involved so that the people eating your food love and admire you. Et voila:


Step 1

Mix the flour, yeast and salt. This works best in a Tiffany-blue mixer.

Christmas gift from my mom. Thanks, mom. Thom.


Step 2

Add 1 5/8 cups water. Hilarious. Jim really means 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons.  

5/8 cups. That guy.  


Step 3

Turn your mixer on.  


Step 4

Turn your mixer off.


Step 5

What you do in real life: Wait 18 hours.

What you tell people you did: Lots of kneading and shaping. This was hard and a lot of work and not everyone can do it.


Steps 6-8

Dump the dough out of the bowl, wait a few minutes. Then wait 2 hours. Then put the dough into a round, 4-quart, Staub cast iron pot in grenadine and bake the shit out of it for 60 minutes.  

A note on the 2-hour rise: Jim directs the baker to leave the soggy little dough ball on a well-floured towel. This is a trick designed to glue the ball to the towel; don't do it. Put the ball on a piece of floured parchment paper, instead. 

A round, 4-quart Staub cast iron pot in grenadine (that's shape, size, brand, type, and color) as specified by Karen.  

Bread mid-rise. Will all that flour turn into dough in my washing machine? Yes. 



15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful loaf of bread! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to need you to bring me a couple loaves when you visit next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... will you be having all these goodies when I come for a visit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jana. Needless to say, I loved your blog. Not only the content, but the incredible wonderful humor that permeates the blog. I have read it too many times to count. You are the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dad! I love you too! Keep reading and commenting!

      Delete
  5. This is a test to see if my reply will publish this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WARNING....THIS WILL BE VERY LONG & WORDY (another of my specialties), & I HAVE TO LIVE UP TO MY NEW STATUS OF BEING IN THE ELITE 2% WITH YOUR MOM. Since I am finally able to reply (I wrote a tomb after the 1st Jim Lahey attempt & it disappeared in the internet cosmos somewhere), this will hopefully put you on a straighter course to the perfect loaf. I made a comment after the 1st entry (which didn’t post) about you being a great student, & you were when you were at my house….however, I’m amending that a tad. Your homework skills need some work. Will continue specifics next entry, I’m paranoid this won’t post either, so I am blithering in stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh... I'll do better, I promise! Anxiously awaiting your feedback! :)

      Delete
  7. Not sure u did this since in wasn’t mentioned in the 1st blog (SO I’M CUTTING U SOME SLACK)….When u r preheating your oven (30-60 min.) make sure your beautiful grenadine Staub pot is IN THE OVEN getting scalding hot.
    Steps 6-8 is where you strayed from an otherwise stellar path. A) After dumping the fermented dough out on a well floured board or smooth counter….very lightly flour dough, gently stretch out a little, then starting with right side, pull & stretch each side out a little & fold over ⅔ to center, left side next, top next…then bottom. Cover w/floured towel & let rest 15-20 min. This will add extra strength to dough & help it rise up rather then flatten out.
    It will flatten out some in this rest period, don’t despair. Just turn over, form into ball by gently pulling corners to center after rest.
    CRUCIAL ERROR on both attempts my not so perfect student (I did not tell you this but the instructions were in the written recipe). The instructions were “Generously coat flat (rub in), very fine- no weave -cotton towel (not terry cloth) w/flour, wheat bran or cornmeal. I do appreciate your visual aesthetics with the beautiful ribbed towel, however flat, very fine no-weave is a key, not pretty but it doesn’t allow dough to seep into crevices.
    Next suggestion, which I’m not sure you did on your 2nd attempt was the use of bran. Liberally sprinkle it over your well floured very fine- no weave -cotton towel before putting your formed loaf on it, & also sprinkle on top of loaf so it doesn’t stick.
    GOLD STAR by putting dough in steep bowl to proof…..HOWEVER….

    CRUCIAL ERROR # 2. “Then I dumped the dough into the Staub and watched it deflate as it hit the bottom.” The instructions (& all instructions for this stage of any bread) is to GENTLY lower dough into beautiful grenadine Staub pot…..so it doesn’t deflate! However, I do admit, it is not an easy thing to do with a scalding hot pot to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! Thank you for the slack cutting, first of all. You make some valid points. ;) I let the Staub get hot, but I think I'll let it preheat for 60 minutes next time just to be sure. It might not have been hot enough.

      I definitely did not flour the towel correctly (again), and am going to buy those baskets you have. Can't remember what they're called...I'll email you. I think they will be the secret to my success.

      Just bought the wheat bran! I used some cornmeal and AP flour for my second batch, but I think the wheat bran will work better.

      I knew you'd call me out on dumping out the bread!!! Remember when I deflated the English muffin dough doing the same thing? :(

      Delete
  8. Here we go again....wrote a final post to try & boost your confidence after my very critical comments (have to retain my status with your mom!), however it didn't post. Being my age of course I don't remember what I just wrote, but in a nutshell....you were very brave for attempting on your own without actually seeing the process & you did great (except for a few hiccups). HOWEVER, if on your next attempt you don't achieve the perfect loaf, you must come over for another grueling day with your almost perfect bread mentor. They don't call me "HAPPY GIRL" for nothing & I personally believe that the 98% deserves another percent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy Karen has introduced me to you and I am delighted! Reading your blog has me laughing out loud and I plan to follow to hear all the future attempts. Also, I wish you all the best and would like to share the one thing I've learned about bread baking and life. There is no such thing as perfection - only great tasting results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, thank you so much! And you are absolutely right.

      Delete